22 hours 16 min. (20 CDs / MP3)
Many Catholics want to study the Bible, but aren’t quite sure where to start. What do I need to know first? What does the Catholic Church teach about Scripture? What rules do I follow in order to interpret the Bible correctly? And how can I study in such a way that not only gives me knowledge, but deepens my spiritual life?
In this full-length college course, Dr. Brant Pitre lays the foundations for a thoroughly Catholic approach to Sacred Scripture. In this course, you will learn about the following important topics:
- The Canon: What is the Bible? How did we get it? Who decided which books are included in Scripture and how does this help us interpret it correctly?
- Inspiration: Is the Bible “inspired” by God? If so, what exactly does this mean? How does inspiration make Scripture different from any other book?
- Inerrancy: Can we trust the Bible? Are there errors in Scripture? What is the Church’s official teaching on the truth of Scripture, and has it changed since Vatican II?
- Apparent Contradictions: Is there any way to reconcile the apparent contradictions in the Bible, like in Genesis 1 and 2 or regarding the Date of the Last Supper?
- Interpretation: How do Catholics interpret the Bible? What rules and methods does the Church follow? What about the historical-critical interpretation of Scripture? Why has Pope Benedict called it “indispensable”?
- The Lectionary: How do I make sense of the readings at Mass? How is the Lectionary put together, and what keys unlock the Liturgy’s interpretation of Scripture?
- The Four Senses: What are the “four senses” of Scripture, and how can they help me draw out the riches of God’s Word?
- Lectio Divina: Why did the monks call Scripture the “Ladder of Paradise,” and why is Scripture an essential part of the life of prayer?
Using the papal encyclicals on Scripture, the teachings of Vatican II and the Catechism, the recent apostolic letter of Pope Benedict XVI and his own experience as a biblical scholar, Dr. Pitre will take you on an exciting tour of everything you ever wanted to know about the Bible and what the Catholic Church believes about Sacred Scripture.